• Contact Us
  • Business News

Support for People with a Disability

City Services
Disability Access and Social Inclusion
Support for People with a Disability

The City of Canning is proud to support a broad range of programs and activities for people living with disabilities, youth and seniors in our community.

We have many other regular events and cultural activities occurring throughout the City. To be kept up-to-date, please sign up for our City of Canning newsletters to find out what is coming up in your neighbourhood.

For any questions, please contact our Disability Access and Social Inclusion Officer on 1300 422 664.

Carers WA – Filming Our Future

Carers WA has recently been involved in a community initiative called 'Filming Our Future', which has resulted in a collection of short films you can watch on YouTube.

WOWS (Women of World Stage) – Choir and Music Group

WOW is calling all music lovers to join them to sing and play music from around the world. WOWS Choir and Music Group loves to experience the diversity of music that our amazing community has on offer. Everyone is welcome to come along and share your voice and instrumental skills. The choir meets every Thursday from 6pm to 8pm at Hillview Intercultural Community Centre, Bentley. For further information, visit WOWs Choir website.

NDIS and Mission Australia – Local Area Coordinator Service

The Mission Australia Local Area Coordination Service is available to answer your questions about the NDIS and to help link you to other mainstream and community supports. Local Area Coordinators will be available every Thursday from 9am to 11.30am at the Riverton Library, 67 Riley Road, Riverton.

The Local Area Coordinator can help with:

  • how to access the NDIS
  • how to prepare for your NDIS planning
  • how to understand and use your NDIS plan
  • using the NDIS my Place Participant Portal
  • how to manage the budgets in your plan
  • how to find and engage providers to help you meet your goals
  • how to link to other mainstream and community services.

No appointment required, you can come along and meet with an LAC to seek assistance with your NDIS plan or access to the scheme.

Arrangements can be made to support people who require interpreters or who have specific cultural requirements, please call 1800 370 776 prior to your visit if required. For further information visit Mission Australia website or download the information brochure (PDF 550KB).

Spinal Life Australia – Accessible Australia App

Spinal Life’s Australia has an Accessible Australia app which allows you to plan your outings. This is a free online resource that gives you the ability to know before you go and leave personal reviews on the accessibility of places that you visit. Spinal Life Australia want to put the control in your hands and give you the tools to help others in the community explore their back yard and the wider community with freedom and confidence.

To view the app and leave your accessible comments for other community members, please visit the Accessible Australia website.

Forget Me Not Cafe – Dementia Support Social Group

The Forget Me Not Cafe social group meets at the Riverton Forum (Jamaica Blue Coffee Shop) every 2nd Wednesday each month. These social meet-ups provide a friendly place for carers and loved ones with dementia to see that despite this illness being so personal, there are still others who truly understand through their own first hand experience, and that we can share the fact we are not alone in our fight.

The support group has sourced Rotary funding and now has FREE Forget-Me-Not Dementia Support Lapel Pins to help identify a wandering person who would otherwise be ignored. These pins raise awareness for people living with dementia. Please contact the Forget-Me-Not cafe volunteers on 0468 549 143 or visit their website.

Fit 4 All

Fit 4 All is a specialised fitness, games and activities program for those with an intellectual disability and their support workers. Classes include exercise circuit, ball skills, gym equipments, gymnastic apparatus and specialized WADSA equipments.

Fit 4 All is held at the Cannington Leisureplex every Thursday at 11.15am. Contact our Leisureplex staff on 6350 7300 for more accessible activities. For further information, see the Fit 4 All page.

Developmental Disability WA (DDWA)

If you or anyone you know has questions about accessing services and support due to the impacts of COVID-19, DDWA can connect you or your family member with the most appropriate person or service.

Please call 1800 031 093 or visit the DDWA Website.

  • National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) – the NDIS can provide all people with disability information and connections to services in their communities such as doctors, sporting clubs, support groups, libraries and schools, as well as information about what support is provided by each state and territory government. NDIS can be contacted on 1800 800 110.
  • National Disability Services (NDS) – NDS is Australia's peak body for non-government disability service organisations, representing over 1100 non-government service providers. Collectively, NDS members operate several thousand services for Australians with all types of disability. Contact NDS directly on 1800 800 110.
  • NDIS Eligibility checklist – this is a general checklist only, so please contact NDIS directly on 1800 800 100 for further information.
  • Mission Australia – National Disability Insurance Scheme Partner in the Community for all residents living within the City of Canning. Mission Australia helps people with disability get the supports they need to live the life they choose in their own communities. For further information or to arrange an NDIS eligibility assessment, call 1800 370 776.
  • Wanslea – Early Childhood Approach (ECA) – National Disability Insurance Scheme Partner in the Community delivering early childhood, ECA to the community for ages 0-6 years. Early intervention is important to ensure children with developmental delay or disability have the best start in life. Caregivers will be provided with ways to help develop the skills children need to take part in daily activities and achieve the best possible outcomes throughout life. Phone 1300 969 645 or email ndis@wanslea.asn.au for further information or to arrange an assessment.
  • Government of WA – Disability Services – for more information, please visit the Disability Services website or call 1800 176 888.
  • Disability Gateway – provides information to help people with disability, their family, friends and carers to find the supports for all the different areas of their lives they that may need. The service is open to all Australians living with disability, whether they are an NDIS participant or not. Visit the website or call on 1800 643 787.
  • ACROD Parking – if you have a temporary or permanent disability, you can apply for an ACROD parking permit. This is a permit that allows you to access designated parking bays throughout the City of Canning and surrounding areas. For more information about obtaining an ACROD permit please call 9242 5544.
  • Companion Card – the Companion Card is for people with a significant and permanent disability, who require attendant care support in order to participate at community venues and activities are always going to need a high level of care to get to community based activities. Cardholders present their card when booking or purchasing a ticket from a participating business. Participating businesses will recognise the Companion Card and issue the cardholder with a second ticket for their companion at no charge. Please phone 1800 617 337 for further information.
  • Disability Support Guide – your guide to be kept informed on services and how to connect with disability support services in your area.
  • Transperth – advice for people with a disability on using Transperth services, concessions, general facilities, obtaining a travel communication card and access to the Disability Accessibility Kit. Please visit the website or call the Transperth InfoLine on 13 62 13.
  • Disability in the Arts (DADAA) – as an arts and disability organisation, DADAA plays an important role in providing opportunities for people with disability to participate in the artistic and cultural life of their communities.
  • Developmental Disability WA (DDWA) – independent support coordination, family peer support and individual advocacy. DDWA offers free membership to individuals and family members and others who have an interest in advancing the rights and needs of people with disability.
  • Epilepsy Action Australia – many people with epilepsy and their families worry how epilepsy will affect various aspects of day to day life. Just as epilepsy is different from one person to the next, managing and coping with the condition is different for everyone.
  • Autism Connect – National Autism Helpline – a free service providing independent and expert information over the phone, email and webchat. Autism Connect supports autistic people, their families and carers, health professionals and the broader community. Please call 1300 308 699.
  • Australasian Society for Intellectual Disability (ASID) – Australasian peak body in intellectual disability. ASID promotes research to inform and influence good practice and policy to achieve a society where people with intellectual disability are afforded the same rights and opportunities as all citizens.
  • Relationships Australia – an independent counselling service for anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission. The counselling service is for people with disability who have suffered violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation. It is also for parents, guardians, carers and family of a person with disability.
  • Sexuality Education Counselling and Consultancy Agency (SECCA) – support for people across the disability sector, and in mainstream services. For further information please call 9420 7226.
  • People with Disabilities WA (PWDWA) – everyone should be able to access and participate in their local community. This means being able to go into buildings, or places in the community and use services that anyone else can use. For many with a disability, getting appropriate access to services and facilities is not always easy. PWDWA can provide support or assistance. Please call 9420 7279.
  • Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (HaDSCO) – provides a positive approach to complaint handling as they recognise the inherent value of complaints in terms of opportunities for improvement across the health, disability and mental health sectors.
  • The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline – a free, independent and confidential service for reporting abuse and neglect of people with disability. Anyone can contact the hotline, including family members, friends, service providers or a person with disability. The hotline works with callers to find appropriate ways of dealing with reports of abuse and neglect. Phone 1800 880 052 (toll free) to speak with an experienced Hotline staff member.
  • My Aged Care – Government subsidised programs such as Home and Community Care (HACC) are delivered by a variety of service providers to support eligible City of Canning residents to remain in their own homes. For further information or to access the government-funded services you need, visit the website or phone 1800 200 422.
  • Meals on Wheels – Meals on Wheels plays a crucial role nationally in supporting the health and wellbeing of over 200,000 older Australians every year across their member network of over 590 service locations. To book an assessment for the Meals on Wheels delivery services, contact the My Aged Care team on 1800 200 422.
  • LiveUp – a not-for-proft organisation funded by the Australian Government, helping people to stay independent through healthy ageing. Visit website for a list of exercise classes, product suggestions and local groups. Take the confidential quiz to find suggestions on how you can age well.
  • Aged Care Guide – be kept informed on age care services and how to connect with age care providers in the Canning area.
  • COTA – the peak organisation for vulnerable seniors in WA. COTA is a not-for-profit for advancing rights, needs, interests and futures as we age. COTA works alongside older people to promote rights, advocate on emerging issues and create positive social change. Visit the COTA website to sign up for a newsletter to find out what's happening in your area.
  • Advocare – supports and protects the rights of older people. Advocare provides important information on how older persons can protect themselves and care for their assets, recognise and respond to elder abuse, obtain advice on enduring power of attorney and enduring power of guardians, and how to navigate the aged care system to receive support and assistance. Call 1800 655 566 for further information.
  • Government updates for Seniors – news for older Australians. Log on to read the latest news for older Australians. You can subscribe to the government newsletter and receive regular updates. Subscribe online and you will receive the latest senior news. You can opt out of receiving this newsletter at any time by just unsubscribing.
  • Seniors Card – check your eligibility for the WA Seniors Card and the different benefits of becoming a senior card holder.
  • Seniors Information Service – a telephone service operated by the WA Seniors Card Centre. The service provides general information and referrals for older people in relation to accommodation options, education, finance, health and wellbeing. Operates from 8.30am to 4.30pm on week days. Call 6551 880 to speak to a team member.
  • Red Cross – Telecross Service – provides a daily telephone call to check on your wellbeing. This provides peace of mind if you are at risk of an accident or illness that may go unnoticed, such as falling and being unable to call for help. The volunteer will check to see that you are well. If your call is not answered the Red Cross will take action to make sure you are ok. This service is available nationally through MyAged Care referrals.
  • Pets of Older Persons (POOPS) – a volunteer run, not-for-profit organisation for keeping people and their pets together. If you are a pet owner over the age of 65 or have a physical disability and are having difficulties looking after your pet, maybe POOPS can help. Police cleared volunteers can assist in taking pets for a vet check, walk, or drive to a boarding kennel when you are likely to be away from home for an extended period of time. Visit the website or call 1300 110 092.
  • Carer Gateway – Carer Gateway connects you with a new Australia-wide network of Carer Gateway service providers. The service centre staff can talk you through how to find the help you need via local services and supports. Phone 1800 422 737.
  • Carers WA – services include the provision of specialist information and advice, resources, carer support through counselling, education/training, social support, carer advocacy and representation. Visit the Carers WA website or phone 1300 227 377.
  • Government updates for Senior Carers – the latest information for senior carer's. Sign up for the Carers Newsletter for Older Australians and you will receive the latest news for carers. You can opt out of receiving this newsletter at any time.
  • Grandparent Carers Support – you’re a grandparent carer if you provide care for your grandchildren. Being a grandparent carer is more than helping parents with babysitting or school pick-ups. If you’re a grandparent carer, you may be able to get extra assistance and supports. Visit the website to find out what is available to you if you are undertaking this carers role.
  • Grandparents Rearing Grandchildren (WA) – offers support services to grandparents who are raising their grandchildren on a full time basis. Services include liaison with Government departments, counselling information, childcare, vocation care, budgeting/financial advice, and food relief assistance.
  • Changing Places – City of Canning – open 24/7 with an MLAK key or open during City of Canning Administration Building office hours (8.15am - 5pm, Monday to Friday). Access via George Street West, turn off Albany Highway, take the second entrance to the City of Canning Administration Building carpark, this will take you to the Civic Centre Park and Changing Places will be on your left. For access after office hours, call 1300 422 664 to arrange non-urgent access to the facility.
  • Finding a Changing Places Facility – website to assist in finding a Changing Places facility near your location.
  • Independent Living Centres Australia – assistive technology is any device, system or design, that allows an individual to perform a task that they would otherwise be unable to do, or increase the ease and safety with which a task can be performed, or anything that assists individuals to carry-out daily activities. Call 1300 885 886 for more information.
  • Technology for Ageing and Disability WA (TADWA) – TADWA helps older people, people with disability and their carers do what is important to them. Occupational therapists and technicians work with hundreds of people every year, listening to what is important in helping people live their lives. TADWA operates across six different disciplines and generate a range of innovative solutions to the challenges faced by older people and people with disability. They provide advice, education, assessment, support and innovative collaboration with you. Contact TADWA on 1300 663 243.
  • Accessible Telecoms – a free service to find independent and up-to-date information on telecommunications products and services that are suitable for seniors and people with disabilities. This service is sponsored by NDIS and can be accessed by anyone, including people with disability, their families and carers, service providers and advocates. Visit the website or contact the support centre on 1800 442 300.
  • Office of Multicultural Interests (OMI) – OMI works to achieve the full potential of multiculturalism in Western Australia. This requires strategies that encompass the whole community, including business and industry groups, government and non-government agencies, culturally diverse communities and the wider community. Call 6551 8700.
  • WA Interpreter Card – the WA Interpreter Card is free and available to anyone who finds it difficult to communicate in English. These cards are used to inform government agencies that you need an interpreter and in what language.
  • Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) National – a free interpreting service which aims to provide equitable access to key services that are not government funded, for people with limited or no English language proficiency. TIS National delivers the free interpreting services on behalf of the Australian Government to assist medical practitioners, pharmacies, real estate agencies (when discussing private rentals), local government authorities and non government organisations who provide casework or emergency services. For further information and assistance, visit the website or call 1300 575 847.
  • EnCOMPASS Multicultural Aged Care Connector – a Government funded program provides navigational support to older people of CaLD backgrounds and their communities to access the aged care system and other supports. Information sessions are provided for better understanding of ageing, the aged care system and supports via My Aged Care services. One-on-one assistance with a holding-hand approach to access aged care services is also available for CaLD community members. For more information, call 9328 3988.
  • Multicultural Futures – a multicultural society that helps migrants and refugees build meaningful lives in Australia. They provide many different supports and services, from information on health and wellbeing, settlement support and childrens activities. For further information and assistance please call 9336 8282.
  • Multicultural Services Centre of WA – working to meet the settlement, welfare, education and training needs of culturally and linguistically diverse Western Australians. For additional information, visit the website or call the Cannington Office on 9258 5188.
  • WA Cultural Infrastructure Map – an interactive map that identifies existing cultural and creative spaces across WA. WA residents and visitors can use the map to locate a cultural facility or find our what cultural and creative spaces there are in a specific location.
  • Aboriginal Interpreting WA – provides interpreters in over 40 Western Australian Aboriginal languages to clients anywhere in Australia. The interpreters may also have experience in areas of health, justice, governance, education and community affairs. Visit the website or call 1800 330 331.
  • Centrelink – Multicultural Service Officers – Centrelink has Multicultural Service Officers who are specialists in helping CaLD community members link up with appropriate services. Multicultural Service Officers provide assistance with accessing payments and services, improving service delivery to CaLD people by understanding individual needs, providing complex case support, helping staff to communicate with CaLD people via language services and by raising awareness and competency of Centrelink staff in servicing CaLD people. Multilingual Service Officers can be contacted directly on 131 202.
  • Communicare – Settle In – the Settle In service assists individuals with community referrals and completing general service forms for those who are eligible for the program. Communicare is happy to assess and make referrals to the correct service for City of Canning residents. Communicare have Case Workers for Individual and Family Support Services program who could offer the same support, outside of the Settle In criteria (post 5 years of arrival). Call direct on 9251 5777 or 0439 852 917.
  • Welcome Hub – the Welcome Hub delivers two services – Client Services and Community Capacity Building. Services are delivered in partnership with City of Stirling, ASeTTS, Ishar Multicultural Women's Health Services, Metropolitan Migrant Resource Centre, Youth Services and several Local Governments, including City of Canning. For more information, call 9205 7320 or email welcomehub@stirling.wa.gov.au
  • Red Cross – Refugee Program – Red Cross can work with newly arrived migrants to building on their strength and support their needs. This includes assistance to become socially and financially independent, support from bilingual case workers and volunteers, support to build client confidence through orientation programme, community connection with mainstream health, educational and accommodation services and specialised and intensive services for people with complex needs. Visit the website or call 1800 733 276.
  • MercyCare – Step by Step Settlement Service – provides support for newly arrived refugees and migrants in their first five years in Australia, to equip them with the knowledge and skills to identify, understand and to address their settlement needs. This is a partnership of 3 agencies, bringing together the specialist experience and resources of Mercy Care (Lead Agency), Save the Children and Edmund Rice Centre of WA. Call direct on 9442 3444.
  • Kin Advocacy – provides individual and systemic advocacy services for people with all types of disability including physical, sensory, intellectual and psychiatric conditions. Kin Advocacy can advocate in areas such as the justice system, health care, education, child-care, employment, housing and in many other areas. Call on 9388 7455 or 1800 659 921.
  • Perth Family Relationship Centre – CaLD specific mediation services. Centre mediators are highly skilled in conflict resolution practices to assist parents and grandparents to focus on the children’s best interests when making decisions. The Centre has parenting programs to strengthen parents’ relationships with their children and can provide referrals to other services when needed. The Centre offers culturally appropriate mediation and case workers who provide ongoing support through the whole process of mediation, in addition to free interpreters. Contact the Perth Family Relationship Centre on 6164 0348.
  • Act Belong Commit – keeping mentally healthy is just as important as staying physically healthy and the good news is there are things we can all do to promote our mental wellbeing and create a stronger more resilient community. Being active, having a sense of belonging and having a purpose in life all contribute to happiness and good mental health. The Act-Belong-Commit guidelines for positive mental health provide a simple approach you can adopt to become more mentally healthy.
  • Kids Helpline – safe, free and private online peer support group for 13-25 year olds. Call 1800 551 800 to share your thoughts, get helpful info, or to just have a chat.
  • Beyond Blue – an independent, not-for-profit organisation working to reduce the impact of depression and anxiety in the community. Beyond Blue provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health, whatever their age and wherever they live.
  • Lifeline – a national charity providing Australians experiencing emotional distress with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Call 13 11 14 for support.
  • SANE Australia – a national mental health charity helping people affected by complex mental health issues through support, research and advocacy. Whatever your age, ethnicity, faith, disability, sexuality, or gender identity, SANE have something for you.
  • headspace – headspace can help if you are feeling anxious or stressed, have problems with family and friends, physical health (including sexual health) concerns, feeling down or depressed or just not feeling yourself. Visit the website for more information.
  • MensLine Australia – a free professional 24/7 telephone counselling support for men with concerns about mental health, anger management, family violence (using and experiencing), addiction, relationship, stress and wellbeing. For support call 1300 789 978.
  • The Association for Services to Torture and Trauma Survivors (ASeTTS) – provides services that assist refugee survivors of torture and trauma to rebuild their lives. ASeTTS run social and community based groups aimed at breaking social isolation and increasing participation in broader society. Visit the website or call 9227 2700.
  • Housing Choices WA – provides community housing, with nearly 2,000 homes across the Perth, Peel and South West regions under management. For more information contact 9430 0900.
  • Department of Communities – Housing – provides a range of products available to assist you into home ownership. Includes Keystart home loans, rental sales scheme, the shared home ownership initiative and transitional housing. Call 1800 176 888 for more information.
  • Department of Social Services – Housing Support – the Australian Government provides support to those in need of affordable housing and homelessness services.
  • Seniors Housing Advisory Centre – an independent information and advice service covering the full range of housing options for seniors in WA. There are many housing options for the over 55 age group considering present and future housing needs. The centre does not directly offer housing, or provide financial and legal advice, but is a source of information for seniors and their families. For more information call 1300 367 057.
  • Entrypoint Perth – a free service provides assessment and referrals for homeless and people at risk of homelessness. Entrypoint Perth is a first point of contact for families and individuals who require access to Specialist Homelessness Services and other accommodation and/or support services in the Perth metropolitan area. Entrypoint Perth also provides information on accommodation and support options to assist people in regional WA to seek their own accommodation. For more information call 1800 124 684.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau – provides a low-cost legal advice service on a wide range of issues and prepare various simple legal documents. Staff can provide information, referral and simple legal advice on a broad range of issues. Contact Perth office on 9221 5711 between 9.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
  • Legal Aid WA – a free or low-cost legal services to the community. Legal Aid help if you have questions about the law, if you are going to court, or if you need advice on a legal problem. If you have trouble getting help because of a disability, language barriers, or your location, Legal Aid will do their best to help you access services. Priority is often given to help people with the greatest needs. If Legal Aid cannot help with your specific problem, they try to refer you to someone who can. For more information call 1300 650 579.
  • Mental Health Law Centre WA – free legal advice for people with mental illness. The Mental Health Law Centre's lawyers are mental health law experts who provide free legal advice and representation to help people with chronic mental illness. They can help you with involuntary treatment, guardianship and administration, and general legal matters
  • Kin Advocacy – provides individual and systemic advocacy services for people with all types of disability including physical, sensory, intellectual and psychiatric conditions. Kin Advocacy can advocate in areas such as the justice system, health care, education, child-care, employment, housing and in many other areas. Call on 9388 7455 or 1800 659 921.
  • Future Living Trust – support for parents and carers of children with a disability by helping to develop a plan for the future. Disability Planning provides an overview of the legal considerations for making an effective Disability Will, setting up a Disability Trust, and assessing future accommodation needs. Structuring a Disability Property Trust and making provision for ongoing disability support and advocacy for your loved one. For more information call 9387 0575.
  • Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) – works to promote and protect the human rights of more than 65,000 Western Australian adults with decision-making disabilities. OPA provides information to help families, friends, carers, health professionals, legal practitioners, primary care givers and accommodation service providers, to meet the needs of adults with decision-making disabilities. For more information call 1300 858 455 or 9278 7300.
  • Disability Legal Connect – Disability Legal Connect work to improve access to community legal assistance for people with disability, and are developing resources that will help disability services organisations find, connect and refer to community legal services. For more information, please visit the Disability Legal Connect website or call 6253 9500.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!