• Contact Us
  • Business News

Food businesses

A new food safety standard (Standard 3.2.2A – Food safety Management Systems) has been introduced and will be coming into effect on 8 December 2023.

The Standard broadly applies to Food businesses that handle unpackaged ready-to-eat potentially hazardous foods.

Food Businesses that are captured by the new Standard will be classified as either a ‘Category 1’ or ‘Category 2’ business. Your business category will determine the food safety management tools that your business will need to implement. These include:

  • food handler training
  • requirement to appoint a food safety supervisor
  • requirement to show key food safety controls are managed through record keeping and documentation.

The tools that apply to category 1 and 2 businesses are:

 Food Business Category  Food Handler Training  Food Safety Supervisor  Showing your food is safe
 Category 1  Yes  Yes  Yes
 Category 2  Yes  Yes  Not applicable

Category 1 and 2 businesses must submit to the City copies of the certificate of attainment for their nominated food safety supervisors for review.

Submit your food safety supervisor accreditation.

City Environmental Health Officers will discuss the new standard with food businesses at routine regulatory inspections. Should you need clarification on the new standard, you may contact the City’s Health Service on 9231 0503.

Additionally, the following resources have can assist you in implementing the new standard:


We monitor and enforce the correct handling, preparation, and storage of food. This is to reduce the risk of food-related illness in our community.

Food can transmit disease from person-to-person and serve as a growth medium for bacteria. This can ultimately cause food poisoning.

For more information, please read these fact sheets:

Food Standards Australia New Zealand has developed information sheets on food safety standards and tips to reduce food safety risks.


All food handlers are encouraged to complete the FoodSafe online food safety training. The City of Canning provides free access to this training:

  • register your food business details
  • purchase the training and type FSCANNI350 in the “Redeem Online Voucher” section to access for free.

Please contact us for any enquiries.

Under Standard 3.2.2 Food Safety Practices, the owners of food businesses are responsible for ensuring people who handle food or food contact surfaces in their business, and the people who supervise this work, have the skills and knowledge they need to ensure food safety and hygiene. Having adequate skills and knowledge is a legal requirement. Visit the Food Standards website for further advice.

Reporting concerns

If you have a food safety concern, please complete one of the following online forms:

If you are buying an existing registered food business, we recommend you get a current inspection report. The report will provide you with details on any outstanding non-compliances.

Permission will need to be sought from the current owner to release inspection reports. The owner's consent form (PDF 150KB) must be completed by the current owner and submitted with your settlement enquiry application.

To request a settlement enquiry, complete the settlement enquiry form.

If you think you need planning approval for your new food business, please contact us by submitting a general planning enquiry. We will check the zoning details and advise if planning approval is required.

New fit outs of food businesses require a building permit to ensure the structural adequacy of the building, fixtures, and fittings. If you need a building permit, contact us on 1300 422 664 or by submitting an online enquiry.

Registration is also required under the Food Act 2008 before fit out of the business. Registration involves an assessment of your proposed food business for compliance with the Australian Food Safety Standards. To register your business, please complete the Food Business Notification Form.

For more information, please read the Food Premises Guideline (PDF 630KB).

Food vendors such as food stalls and food vehicles trading within the City of Canning, must obtain a permission to trade at Events and the Canning vale markets.

All temporary food businesses are required to comply with the Food Act 2008, the Food Regulations 2009 and the Food Standards Code.  In particular, the food business MUST be registered under the Food Act 2008 through the local government where the stall / vehicle is stored / garaged.

Visit the Food Vendor Permits page to learn more.

Business in Canning

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!