• Contact Us
  • Business News

Health premises permits and approvals

City Services
Health Services
Health premises permits and approvals

Approvals, licenses, and permits are required for new businesses to operate within the City of Canning. Certain businesses must also meet specific health standards.

The City can assist business operators with meeting these standards. This includes helping businesses apply for the correct permits and approvals for their type of business.

Please complete the relevant form below:

For further information or enquiries, please contact us on 1300 422 664.


For hairdresser and offensive trade premises, please download the WA Health guidelines:

When applying the guideline, you must still comply with the general public health duty of the Public Health Act 2016. This means people and businesses must take all reasonable and practicable steps to prevent or minimise any harm to public health that might result from anything done, or omitted to be done, by the person. The guideline should be used to clarify the application of the general public health duty and provide information on the reasonable and practicable steps which can be taken to prevent or minimise harm to public health.

Public Buildings

Public buildings must meet hygiene, fire and electrical safety, and accommodation capacity standards. The City approves and inspects these buildings to ensure those standards are met. Public buildings include:

  • licensed premises
  • function rooms
  • private educational facilities
  • large outdoor events
  • sporting clubrooms.

The construction, operation and maintenance of public buildings are subject to the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911, the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 and the Building Code of Australia.

Before entering into contractual agreements or undertaking significant building works on a public building, please contact us on 1300 422 664 for advice. Significant works include new construction, extensions, and building alterations.

If you are fitting out a new public building or are making changes to a premise, please contact us on 1300 422 664 for advice. You may need a building permit and/or planning approval, in addition to applying for Health Approval. Please visit the application lodgement page to learn more.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!